ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Lightweight, small HF rig - used

Nov 1st 2015, 14:54

Lfox368806

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I'll be taking my General test in December, and want to start looking for a used HF rig. Due to physical limitations, I have particular need of equipment that is both lightweight, and small enough for me to manage when traveling (car or air).

I have a Yaesu FT60 HT, and wouldn't mind staying in the same manufacturing family. If anyone has any tips, I'd sure appreciate them. I'm trying to narrow down possibilities, and other than size limitations, I'm trying to focus on reliability and ease of use for a relative newbie.

If I can, I'd like to keep the cost to less than $600 - I'm hoping that's not too unrealistic.
Nov 1st 2015, 19:18

AB3FN

Suggest you look at the Yaesu FT-450. Its very compact and lightweight, but is a solid performer and has many features. Used ones are well under $600. The menu system is not too complex, although all radios have their idiosyncrasies.
Nov 1st 2015, 21:32

W1VT

Super Moderator

You might start off with your power source(s) and see how this fits into your limitations.

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn