ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Why signal strength?

Mar 7th 2016, 00:03

0008409488H80

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I listened to a lot of the contest today but only got a little involved because I am using a remote station and the delay time is too long to make a contact with all the quick triggers out there.
The reason I'm writing this is because the contest requested a signal report and power. Out of listening to a couple of hundred contacts being made, some requesting info more than one time, I only heard one signal report that was not 5-9. If the signal report is so insignificant that everyone gets the same report then why use it?
I've heard this a lot before over the years but today it sounded like a recording from every station I heard.
Any thoughts?
Don
N3BMT
Mar 7th 2016, 13:20

aa6e

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Agreed that the automatic 599 doesn't mean anything. It's just part of the ritual. Which raises the question, what should be in the ideal contest exchange?

I'd like something that helps confirm your identity and callsign. How about adding a checksum or error-correcting code after your callsign? (There are various ways to calculate one.) Errors copying callsigns are a big nuisance. Your logging software could automatically confirm the call+code as valid -- or even correct some simple errors that you might have copied.

73 Martin AA6E

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn