ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

JT65 during Field Day

Apr 21st 2017, 23:26

N4FWD

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
It is true that slow digital modes will never compete with the traditional contesting modes (like CW, Phone, PSK31 keyboarding, etc.). However, when the bands seem to die down, the slower digital mode can shine and help capture a few more contacts. I am a big proponent of JT65 / JT9 and wanted to see if anyone else might want to give it a go for Field Day 2017. I propose the following exchange be employed:

Originator (using a TX Macro)
CQ FD [callsign]
[or the standard CQ ]

Answering (using standard maidenhead)
[callsign] [callsign] [maidenhead]

Originator (using standard signal report)
[callsign] [callsign] [report]

Answering (using standard signal reply)
[callsign] [callsign] [R report]

Originator (using TX Macro)
RR [mode] [location] 73 (example: RR 3A GA 73)

Answering (using TX Macro)
RR [mode] [location] 73 (example: RR 1D AL 73)

If the answering station is not participating in Field Day, they will get the basic information needed to log a contact. If the answering station is participating in Field Day, then the exchanged information will be the basic information for a Field Day contact.
Jun 9th 2017, 13:42

0001490519H80

Jt-65 has the advantage of not "capturing" adjacent signals on the waterfall. I read that in the ARRL book "Get on the air with digital.
I'm going to throw out those cq fd sigs and see what I get.

On a good day I can work Japan with 30 watts into the ATAS-120 antenna on my bumper.
Jun 25th 2017, 08:41

K0BHJ

I tried JT65 yesterday for quite awhile during field day. I got 3 contacts, but didn't get the category and state from anybody. It's tilting at windmills to try and do this without an established protocol. There's no way in 16 characters per message to explain what you need.
I watched a lot more than I tried to send, to see if anybody was trying to do this. Nobody used anything other than the standard protocol.
Jun 26th 2017, 21:23

K0BHJ

Now that I've had a chance to think about it, I realize that JT65 is not in the spirit of the exercise. Field Day is simulating an emergency communication situation. If you can't exchange an arbitrary piece of information, then it isn't useful in an emergency.
Aug 26th 2017, 14:12

WD5IQR

I agree with K0BHJ's conclusion about JT65 and FD. While it is a good mode for making contacts with low power etc., it is not adequate for passing information. PSK31 is my best digital QSO mode because it matches my typing speed. And I have a "Personal Macro" that gives a summary of my QRZ page. I am waiting for LoTW to catch up and program acceptance of FT8. That is one gangbuster of a mode for DX, in my opinion.
Aug 27th 2017, 11:23

W1VT

Super Moderator

You can now update your TQSL file and then upload FT8 contacts. I was able to confirm Poland for DXCC country #35 with an FT8 contact.

Zack W1VT

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn