ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

wireless weather station using Ham radio, can it be done?

Apr 4th 2018, 07:16

AF7JA

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I posted this on a different amateur radio forum. As stated, I am a computer apps/robotics teacher at a middle school and I was thinking about a weather station.

The response I got was a form of, "don't try using amateur radio for this application." As I mentioned in the quoted text, I am more likely to go with something that uses a hobbyist/experimenter band; but I would be interested in fairly weighing Amateur Radio for this application first.

I was thinking of a project for some of my more advanced students. I would like to send weather information from an Arduino based weather station to the classroom where the data would be placed into an Excel file. I was looking at this QRP shield, I realize that there are other ham radio shields, I am not set on any individual one at this point.

Here is my question. What ham radio information do I have to transmit with the weather information and what format does it have to be in?

Can I just include my call-sign with the serial data? Will having the transmitter randomly send my call-sign in Morse code be needed (not really random, at the end of each sending of information). I can see this working better outside of amateur radio bands. However,I am trying to decide on the basics at this point. I don't see many remote control toys around here so I do realize that I may be better off planning to use a hobbyist/experimenter band instead of Amateur radio (here is another example of hobbyist wireless, there are a lot of ways, or just use wi-fi); at the present I am just working on ideas and feasibility.

My concern here is how/can I do this legally.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn