ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

5.8GHz Antenna Power Output Testing

Feb 1st 2019, 23:54

todd45040

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I work at Sinclair Community College in Dayton, Ohio as an Aviation Technology Instructor for the Unmanned Aerial Systems program. We have a variety of small video transmitters that I would like to confirm the broadcast output power. I am trying to determine the best way to measure the 5.8GHz power output of video transmitters in the 25mw to 1 watt range. What would be a good way to approach this?

Thanks in advance,

-Todd
Feb 3rd 2019, 09:47

W1VT

Super Moderator

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
https://www.minicircuits.com/about/NPR_041816.html
A power sensor and a calibrated attenuator is the best way of measuring average power. Keysight/Agilent/HP makes similar products. But, not only are they expensive, but they are quite fragile and blow up quite frequently. A spectrum analyzer and attenuators may be a more practical way of testing transmitters, as it allows you to view modulation as well as spurious signals. But, the absolute accuracy is poor.

These days transmitters are measured in peak, rather than average power. So an average power detector may not be what you want.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn