ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Field Day Battery Operation

May 24th 2019, 13:59

W1ECH

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
The June, 2019 issue of QST, pages 74-75, describes use of a car charging system for battery operation of equipment on Field Day. In the article about their 2018 operation, it appears that the operators used the car to recharge their battery (ies), in part, for their equipment.

Is that allowed?

I thought the actual equipment had to be operated from a battery "...charged from something other than a motor driven generator or commercial mains." (see my quote below.)

ARRL Rules state (in part):

"6.9. Batteries may be charged while in use. Except for Class D stations, the batteries must be charged from a power source other than commercial power mains. To claim the power multiplier of five, the batteries must be charged from something other than a motor driven generator or commercial mains."

What am I missing?

Thanks and 73,

Gary - W1ECH
May 24th 2019, 14:38

W1VT

Super Moderator

"To claim the power multiplier of five, the batteries must be charged from something other than a motor driven generator or commercial mains."

This only applies if you turn in a log. I don't see their call in the 2018 results. Alternately, I don't see an issue if you send in a log but don't claim the x5 multiplier.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Apr 9th 2020, 10:12

W1VT

Super Moderator

6.9. Batteries may be charged while in use. Except for Class D stations, the batteries must be charged from
a power source other than commercial power mains. To claim the power multiplier of five, the batteries must be
charged from something other than a motor driven generator or commercial mains.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn