ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Logged Time for SSB SS Contacts

Jun 22nd 2012, 23:29

gw0nvn

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
For various reasons I use a paper log when entering the SSB SS in November. One issue I have is the logged time of the contact. Is it at the beginning of the contact or the end? I would have thought it should be the start and finish as in a normal log book. Especially if the contact takes more than 1 minute. As many do. The ARRL paper logs do not have start and finish times columns. I suspect computer logging programs only put the end time in. When the 'Enter' button is pushed. This will result in the loss of points when both the paper and computer logs are checked.

At my portable location, the clock I believe, is locked to gps and rds. But I can get one locked to WWV if necessary. As always, I find it a challenging, friendly and enjoyable contest. Hopefully this year I'll get my VE7CA wire beam set up in time. Look out for N1XIH/7 Q96 UT

73's GW0NVN N1XIH

Jun 25th 2012, 11:27

N0NB

The logging programs I've used will store the time the <Enter> key is pressed to log the contact. For most contacts this will be at the end as most contest contacts last a relatively short time, often less than a minute.

I suspect that the log processing software allows a leeway of at least a couple of minutes, although these days it's almost unforgivable for the logging computers to not be sync'ed to NTP. Portable operation is a bit more challenging but checking against WWV should be done.

Perhaps just logging the end time of the contact is the easiest "fix" to implement.

73, de Nate >>
N0NB.us
Jun 26th 2012, 07:45

gw0nvn

Thanks for that. I had a feeling it was the end of contact. I normally note both. But the contest sheet only has one entry. I've now to find where points were deducted. Unfortunately some of my contacts take longer than a minute for all the usual reasons. All ready planning for this years effort.

73's GW0NVN N1XIH

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn